Queensland Rail is committed to protecting your personal information. The way we manage personal information is governed by the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld) (Act).
Personal information is information or an opinion, including information or an opinion forming part of a database, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
Collection and use of personal information
We will only collect personal information that is relevant and necessary for our functions and activities.
In particular, we may collect your personal information to:
- provide you with travel services;
- help you with your enquiries, complaints, reported incidents, entry forms, bookings and other requests;
- return lost property to you;
- provide you with information about Queensland Rail services;
- recommend to you other services that our selected partners offer which may be of interest to you;
- verify any information you have provided to us;
- get in touch with you if we need to;
- research and develop our services;
- protect your safety, security and wellbeing on Queensland Rail property;
- if you have applied for employment at Queensland Rail, process your employment application (for example, to verify employment information);
- if you are a Queensland Rail employee, perform any employment related task (for example, to grant you building and IT access, manage your salary arrangements and monitor employee conduct).
The type of information we collect may include your name, address, phone number, fax, email, other contact details; complaint, incident, comment or other answers or opinions provided; payment, financial institution, bank details; age, sex, licence and other identification details as required.
If we are unable to collect the information we request from you, we may not be able to complete your request - including providing you with feedback on an enquiry, completing your bookings or sending a prize to you if you win a competition, so please ensure you fill in your details when requested.
Disclosure of personal information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party where it is necessary for our functions and activities. Typically, we may disclose your personal information to:
- banks or other financial institutions to process payments;
- businesses providing prizes to competitions you have won through us;
- courier companies if we are required to make a delivery to you;
- our related entities which are controlled by Queensland Rail;
- our professional advisers, contractors or service providers who advise us or carry out our functions and activities;
- travel agents, accommodation and activity service providers and other carriers, tour operators and transport companies to process and make reservations for your travel, accommodation and activity arrangements;
- your representatives (for example your authorised representatives or legal advisers);
- Translink, if your query concerns a service that Translink manages; and
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that any third party to whom we disclose your personal information is bound by privacy obligations concerning that information.
At times, while using Queensland Rail services, you may be video recorded by way of closed circuit television (CCTV). Queensland Rail makes these recordings to monitor the safety and security of Queensland Rail customers and the security of the Queensland Rail network. All CCTV recordings are made and handled by Queensland Rail according to the Act and any other relevant legislation.
Queensland Rail is committed to protecting user privacy. We understand and appreciate that visitors and users of this web site are concerned about their privacy and the confidentiality and security of any information that may be provided to us.
Clickstream data and cookies
Our service provider makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes - the user's server address, the user's top level domain name (eg. .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.), the date and time of the visit to the site, the pages accessed and documents downloaded, the previous site visited and the type of browser used. No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except, in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the service provider's logs.
Internet cookies are small strings of text placed on users' hard drives during the data exchange that happens when a browser points to a web site. Cookies allow a website to store information on a user's machine and later retrieve it. They remember preferences you enter and then tailor a site to suit your needs. Cookies have no way of disclosing your name or any personal information.
Collection of personal information via websites
General correspondence sent to this site via the feedback link or the individual email addresses in each section will be treated as a public record and will be retained as required by the Public Records Act 2002 (Qld).
Your name and address details collected in this way will not be added to a mailing list without your consent. We will only disclose your details to third parties:
- in order to process a transaction or request authorised by you; or
- where disclosure is required or authorised by law or an enforcement authority
Your email address will be recorded for the purpose of responding to your feedback, enquiry, or to provide confirmation of a transaction. E-mail messages may be monitored by our website support staff for system trouble shooting and maintenance purposes. Any illegal activities suggested in the content of either feedback or emails will be forwarded to a law enforcement agency for investigation.
Entries to online competitions request the entrant’s name, address, email and phone numbers. This information is not stored on the site and will not be added to a mailing list without the express permission of the entrant.
Where on-line forms are available on this site and you choose to send us the form electronically that includes personal details, then personal information from the form would be collected for the purpose provided on the form. However, that personal information will not be disclosed to others, without your consent, except as set out in this Privacy Statement.
Publishing personal information on a website
No personal information will be published on the site without the express permission of the individual.
Transmission of personal information
This site uses encryption for secure transmission of personal information over the Internet. You should recognise that there can be risks with transmitting information across the Internet.
Where this site contains links to other websites not managed by Queensland Rail, Queensland Rail is not responsible for the privacy or security practices or the content of such websites.
How to contact us
If you have any questions concerning the way Queensland Rail handles your personal information, please contact us by writing to:
Right to Information and Privacy Coordinator
GPO Box 1429
BRISBANE QLD 4000
or by email at RTI.ProcessingCentre@qr.com.au